Congratulations to the 2014 Award Recipients
Every year, the TVMA awards committee has the unenviable task of selecting one winner from a group of esteemed and qualified members who have been nominated by their colleagues. Awards are given to veterinarians in specific areas of practice, recent graduate veterinarians who are already making their mark on the profession and technicians who strive to advance the standards of technical practice. The 2014 TVMA award recipients are:
- Distinguished Career Achievement: Charles R. Pipes, DVM, Dipl. ABVP
- Food Animal Practitioner of the Year: A. Duane Hutchins, DVM
- General Practitioner of the Year: John D. Dearing, DVM
- Recent Graduate Practitioner of the Year: Mary Anne White, DVM
The Texas Academy of Veterinary Practice (TAVP) Clinical Referral and Consultation Award was presented to William O. Dudley, DVM, Dipl. ACVR.
In addition, four Texas Veterinary Heritage Practices were recognized at the banquet. This program recognizes practices of veterinary medicine in Texas that have been in continuous operation for 50 years or more.
- Long Drive Dog and Cat Hospital in Houston (est. in 1954 by Dr. Leon Slatko)
- Eagle Veterinary Hospital in San Antonio (est. in 1947 by Dr. Albert Nagle)
- Brownsville Veterinary Hospital in Brownsville (est. in 1948 by Dr. B.B. Phillips)
- Arlington Animal Hospital in Arlington (est. in 1948 by Dr. J. M. Farrell Jr. and Dr. Don B. Farrell)
You will be able to learn more about the award recipients and the history of these heritage practices throughout the year in our Texas Veterinarian magazine.
Congratulations to all of the award winners!
Newly Installed TVMA Leaders
The 2014 officers of TVMA and TAVP were installed at the 2014 Awards and Installation Banquet, held on March 1.
2013 TVMA President Dr. Jed Ford installed the 2014 Texas Academy of Veterinary Practice officers:
- President: W. Scott Mays, DVM
- Immediate Past President: Pamela Henricks, DVM
- President-elect: Tamra Walthall, DVM
- Vice President: TBD
- Treasurer: Michael Joyner, DVM
AVMA President Dr. Clark Fobian installed the 2014 officers of TVMA:
- President: Tracy Fant Colvin, DVM
- President-elect: Russell Ueckert, DVM
- Immediate Past President: Jed Ford, DVM
- Treasurer: H. Keven McShane, DVM
- Chairman, Board of Directors: Sam Miller, DVM
- Council Chair, External Affairs: Aaron Rainer, DVM
- Council Chair, Professional Advancement: Rick Wall, DVM
- Council Chair, Association Affairs: John Bruker, DVM
- Council Chair, Veterinary Practice: Dan Posey, DVM
Congratulations and thank you to all of our leaders for this next year!
A Thank You for Attending the Business Meetings
Thank you to all of the members of the Executive Committee, Board of Directors, committees and task forces who attended meetings in College Station this past weekend. Your hard work and dedication accounts for more than 1,100 combined volunteer hours during the three-day meeting. TVMA is fortunate to have dedicated members step up when asked to serve. It is because of our members that TVMA is able to promote, advocate for and protect the veterinary medical profession in Texas.
If you are not currently serving on a committee but would like more information about serving on one, please contact Devorah Jakubowsky at the TVMA office at 512/452-4224.
TVMA Committee Meetings Just a Week Away
TVMA committee members and district directors will be traveling to College Station for committee and board of directors meetings being held Thursday, February 27, through Saturday, March 1. All business meetings will be at the College Station Hilton. Please see the business meeting schedule for details on particular committee meetings and room assignments.
Visit our Business Alliances at Annual Conference
How much money can you save by using TVMA’s Business Alliances? Representatives from Infintech, TexCap-Concord Insurance Services and Office Depot will be in the exhibit hall at the TVMA Annual Conference to help answer that question.
Not able to attend the conference this year? Visit our Business Alliance page today to see how you might save. Mention you are a TVMA member for the best rates from our business alliance vendors.
TVMA Business Meetings in February
TVMA committee members and district directors will be travelling to College Station for committee and board of directors meetings being held Thursday, February 27, through Saturday, March 1. All business meetings will be at the College Station Hilton. Please see the business meeting schedule for details on particular committee meetings and room assignments.
Target Data Breach: What You Should Know
TVMA’s business alliance vendor LifeLock shares information about the data breach that occurred with Target, what they are doing about it and what you can do to protect yourself. CLICK HERE.
Committee Appointment Letters are in the Mail
Most of the committee rosters for 2014 are completed, and if you expressed an interest in serving on a committee, you should have received a letter in the mail this week notifying you of your appointment for the year. If you expected to be appointed to a committee and you do not receive a letter by Friday, January 21, please call Devorah at the TVMA office at 512/452-4224.
Outgoing committee member thank-you letters were sent out last week. Many times a member is removed from a committee due to lack of attendance at meetings over the past year or not indicating an interest to serve again. We know there are times when it is not possible to make every meeting, so if you feel you were removed from a committee roster in error and would like to continue to serve, don’t hesitate to contact Devorah at the TVMA office.
Happy New Year
It’s hard to believe that another year has gone by! As we begin a new year, we want to thank you for your continued support of TVMA and your profession. We are grateful to work for such a wonderful profession, and we wish you a year of great happiness and success.
Committee rosters for 2014 are almost finalized. If you indicated an interest in serving on a committee next year either by an email or with your membership renewal last year, you should receive a letter in the next week notifying you of the appointment. If you expect to be appointed to a committee and you do not receive a letter by Friday, January 17, please call Devorah Jakubowsky at the TVMA office at 512/452-4224.
Most committees will meet during the TVMA Annual Conference in College Station on the afternoon of Friday, February 28.
This New Year, Resolve to Improve Pet Health Information Online
Improve the quality of pet health information available online by becoming a writer or peer reviewer for TexVetPets.org, TVMA’s upcoming pet health website for Texas pet owners. TexVetPets.org provides a platform for Texas veterinarians to communicate reliable information to the public while demonstrating veterinarians’ dedication to pet wellness and responsible pet ownership. TexVetPets.org’s content will rise above other, often unreliable, online resources by offering content created and reviewed by Texas pet experts—TVMA members.
As a volunteer, you will write or review only as many articles as you would like, and you can do it on a flexible schedule that fits the time you have available. Contact TVMA Communications Associate Dawn Noufer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512/452-4224 to get involved with TexVetPets.org or with any questions.
New Year, New Business
Is one of your goals for the new year to save money? Has it been awhile since you reviewed your business vendors? Why not take a look at TVMA’s business alliances to see how much you can save on electricity, credit card processing, insurance and other services?
- LifeLock protects your identity 24/7. TVMA members receive a 15-percent discount on LifeLock protection.
- The Platinum 401k offers a unique retirement plan solution that can reduce your liability and lower your out-of-pocket expense.
- Sherpa Energy offers you significantly lower energy rates by leveraging the buying power of our 3,500 active members.
- TexCap-Concord Insurance now offers health insurance through BlueCross BlueShield.
- Infintech offers a beat-or-match policy that guarantees the lowest possible rates.
- CareCredit has reduced the startup rate for TVMA members to just $25.
See information on all of our endorsed vendors HERE.