Important update on the TVMA RVT June 2014 State Exam
Verification was received from the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (TSBVME) that as long as a graduate of an American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)-accredited veterinary technician school takes and passes the TVMA State Exam in June 2014, receives a passing score on the July/August Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) and has met all requirements to become an RVT with TVMA prior to August 31, the State Board will allow such individuals to be grandfathered in as Licensed Veterinary Technicians (LVTs) even if the individual’s July/August VTNE score is not received until after the August 31 grandfathering deadline.
On the other hand, if someone is now an RVT in good standing with TVMA but does not apply to the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners by August 31, they will not be grandfathered in but will have to go through the State Board exam process and meet the requirements set out in the rules the board recently adopted.
CE Opportunities for RVTs, CVAs
- The 20th Annual Veterinary Technician Seminar at Texas A&M University in College Station on March 8-9 is offering 11 hours of CE. Registration and program information is available at http://vetmed.tamu.edu/ce/events.
- The Texas Unites for Animals Conference, sponsored by Texas Federation of Humane Societies and Texas Animal Shelter Coalition, will be held on March 22-24 at the Renaissance Hotel in Austin and has been approved for 10.5 hours of CE. Register now at http://www.texasunites.com.
Reminders for RVTs
Just a few reminders to all current RVTs who are applying for LVT status with the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners:
- The application form is available online at www.tbvme.state.tx.us.
- TSBVME will contact TVMA directly for registration verification.
- Current RVTs are not required to pay annual dues or provide proof of CE to TVMA for the May 2014 renewal period.
Please contact TBVME directly at 512/305-7555 or firstname.lastname@example.org with LVT applications or licensing questions.