IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL RVTs REGARDING LVT APPLICATION
The LVT application is now available online at http://www.tbvme.state.tx.us/. The Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (TBVME) is working with TVMA to obtain verification of current registration for technicians to be eligible to gain a license via the grandfathering clause. The LVT applicant must be current and in good standing with TVMA. We ask that you do NOT contact TVMA for a letter of good standing as previously stated on the LVT application. The Registration # and issuance date is located on your RVT certificate. If you have lost your certificate your Registration # is available on the “List of Current RVTs” located on the tvma.org website HERE. The issuance date will be provided to TBVME with your verification letter. The RVT expiration date is 8/31/2014. If you have any questions regarding the LVT application, please contact TBVME directly at 512/305-7555 or email@example.com.
FREE RVT CE
The Texas Association of Registered Veterinary Technicians (TARVT) and Forney Animal Hospital are hosting a one-hour continuing education event for ALL hospital staff on Saturday, January 11, at 4 p.m. at Forney Animal Hospital, 202 E US Highway 80, Forney, TX 75126. Cindy Dittmar, RVT, will cover the changes made by House Bill 1312 that was passed in the 83rd Texas legislative session. These changes include licensure of veterinary technicians and allowable tasks. She will also discuss what level of supervision different members of the veterinary hospital team are required to have to perform specific tasks. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder to RVTs to Stay Current with Dues and CE
RVTs, please make sure you are current on annual dues and CE with TVMA through May 31, 2013 so that you can start applying for licensure with the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners after December 15, 2013. Click HERE or more details.
CE Opportunities for RVTs, CVAs
- Elanco is hosting a four-hour CE discussion and wet lab called "Pain Management and Regional Anesthesia in the Companion Animal," presented by Nora Matthews, DVM, BA, DACVA, on Friday, November 22, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Animal Imaging Center at 6112 Riverside Drive in Irving, Texas. Please RSVP to Lynne Woods by Friday, November 15. Call 903/243-8729 or email email@example.com.
Licensed Veterinary Technician Information
For information and the latest updates on veterinary technician licensure, please go to the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners website HERE. Questions? Please call 512/305-7555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
IMPORTANT: All RVTs current on dues and CE as of May 31, 2013, are not required to renew their status with TVMA in May 2014. After December 15, 2013, they may apply to the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners to become licensed.
National Veterinary Technician Week Set for October 13-19
TVMA invites you to celebrate National Veterinary Technician Week on October 13-19 by recognizing the hard work and commitment of Texas veterinary technicians as well as their valuable contribution to the veterinary profession.
As part of TVMA's celebration of National Veterinary Technician Week, the October issue of the Texas Veterinarian honors Registered Veterinary Technicians (RVTs), Licensed Veterinary Technicians (LVTs), Certified Veterinary Assistants (CVAs) and hospital support staff by featuring articles about how crucial their roles are to veterinary medicine, animal health and TVMA.
Our gratitude for the work of veterinary technicians is present 365 days a year, but please join us for this week of special recognition. For more information and for future dates of National Veterinary Technician Week, visit www.navta.net/events/national-veterinary-technician-week.
New Licensed Veterinary Technician Information
A new law was passed by the 83rd Legislature that authorizes the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners to license and regulate veterinary technicians. Should you wish to gain a veterinary technician license and become a Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT) in Texas, you may do so by completing the application and submitting it to the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners with all required supporting documentation after December 15. More information is available at www.tbvme.state.tx.us.
CE Opportunities for RVTs, CVAs
- Coastal Bend Veterinary Medical Association has a 2.5-hour CE meeting on Thursday, October 3, at 6:30 p.m. at U & I Steak & Seafood at 309 Water Street in Corpus Christi. Dr. Jim Swanson will be presenting a small and large animal ophthalmology seminar, and topics will include “melting” corneal ulcers, glaucoma and equine ulcers. Non-CBVMA members may attend this meeting for a fee of $40. Staff of CBVMA members may attend for a fee of $25. Please RSVP to email@example.com ASAP.
- You are invited to attend a 2-hour lecture brought to you by Zoetis and South Texas Veterinary Specialists on Wednesday, October 16, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at STVS, 503 E. Sonterra Blvd., Suite 102, San Antonio, TX 78258. Dr. Geoff Hennig, DACVS, will be presenting an overview of cranial cruciate ligament disease in dogs with a bandaging wet lab. Please RSVP to Avery Bradshaw at firstname.lastname@example.org or 210/930-8383.
CE Opportunities for RVTs, CVAs
- Coastal Bend Veterinary Medical Association has a two-hour CE meeting on Thursday, September 19, at 6:30 p.m. at Silverado Smokehouse at 4522 Weber Road in Corpus Christi. Dr. Charlie Wiley will be presenting an ultrasound seminar. He will speak on why ultrasound is important in the animal health field and then review personal cases he has seen, plus go over any present cases that anyone would like to review with him that evening. Non-CBVMA members can attend this meeting for a fee of $25. Please RSVP to email@example.com by Monday, September 16.
- Dr. Ava Frick’s seminar ”Connecting Symptoms to Systems” will be held on Sunday, September 22, from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at The Austin Centre at 3809 South Second Street, Bldg. A, Ste. 100, Austin, TX 78704. Sponsored by Standard Process of Central Texas Inc., this seminar is approved for eight hours of CE. Online registration, pricing and directions are available at www.theaustincentre.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
CE Opportunity for RVTs, CVAs
- Coastal Bend Veterinary Medical Association has a 2.5-hour, RACE-approved CE meeting sponsored by Idexx scheduled on August 27 at 6:30 p.m. at Kiko’s Mexican Cantina in Corpus Christi. Dr. Johnathan Lidbury from the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine will be presenting on "The Diagnosis and Management of Canine Pancreatitis." The non-member fee for the meeting and dinner will be $35. Please RSVP to email@example.com by Friday, August 23.
- The Harris County Public Health Veterinary Public Health division is hosting its Sixth Annual Zoonotic Disease Conference at the Baylor College of Medicine-Cullen Auditorium on Sunday, September 15. It is approved for six hours of CE (one hour in the practice management category and five hours in the clinical category). Registration is FREE. Please contact Tiffany Guidry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713/418-1828 by September 5.
September 2013 RVT State Exam
The next Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) State Exam is scheduled on Friday, September 27, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Marriott Rivercenter Hotel in San Antonio, Texas.
The RVT State Exam application form is located on the TVMA website at www.tvma.org. Please mail or fax the completed application form to:
Attn: Andy Walker
8104 Exchange Drive
Austin, TX 78754
If you have any questions, please contact TVMA Director of Training and Certifications Andy Walker at email@example.com.
CE Opportunity for RVTs, CVAs
Coastal Bend Veterinary Medical Association has a 2.5-hour CE meeting sponsored by Elanco Animal Health scheduled on July 23 at 6:30 p.m. at George's Seafood Company in Corpus Christi. Dr. Nora Matthews from the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine will be presenting on "Analgesics: Drugs and Techniques to Make the Pain Go Away." Also, Dr. Underbrink will take the first 15 minutes or so to briefly go over some new information that will be affecting the technicians/RVTs in the state of Texas after September 2013. Non-CBVMA members can attend this meeting for a fee of $20. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 18.
Free CE Opportunity for TARVT Members
Two-hour dinner CE on “Improving Compliance Through Better Communication,” presented by Catherine M. Lee, DVM, at Willie G’s Seafood and Steaks in Houston on Tuesday, July 30, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Free CE Opportunity for TARVT members. Non TARVT members: RVT $30 (includes membership), Associate members: $15. Please RSVP to email@example.com by July 26.
Coastal Bend VMA Meeting on June 27
The Coastal Bend Veterinary Medical Association (CBVMA) has a meeting on June 27 at Luciano’s Italian Restaurant in Corpus Christi at 6:30 pm for 2.5 hours of CE. Dr. Sara Lawhon from the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine will be presenting on "Interpretation of antimicrobial susceptibility reports, a brief review of how bacteria transfer antimicrobial resistance from one to another" and then discuss methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius in dogs. Non-CBVMA members can attend this meeting for a fee of $30. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
James Steele Conference on June 19-21
The 63rd annual meeting of the James Steele Conference on Diseases in Nature Transmissible to Man is scheduled for June 19-21 at the Omni Houston Hotel. This conference, co-sponsored by the Texas Department of State Health Services Zoonosis Control Branch and the Texas Health Institute, provides excellent, informative presentations by local, state, national and international experts and up to 17 hours of continuing education credits. For complete conference information, including the agenda and registration information, please visit the conference website at http://sites.google.com/site/diseasesinnature/.
RVT Renewals Due by May 31
The 2013 RVT renewals are due by May 31. RVTs, if you have not received your renewal form, please contact Andy Walker email@example.com or pay your dues online at www.tvma.org.
The Coastal Bend Veterinary Medical Association (CBVMA) meeting will be held on Thursday, May 23, at 6:30 p.m. at Joe's Crab Shack located at 444 Shoreline at the Laurence St. T-Heads. Dr. Adam Patterson from the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine is the speaker, and the topic is dermatology. 2.5 CE credits. Meeting is free to all doctors and key staff members. Contact Dana Bobbitt at 361/595-5589 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free CE Hours
Earn two free hours of CE at “Ticked Off and Ready to Flea,” presented by Randy Martin, DVM, on May 1 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Opal Divines on South Congress in Austin. Please RSVP by April 26 to Nikki Wilkinson at email@example.com.
The March Coastal Bend VMA (CBVMA) meeting will be held on Thursday, March 28, at 6:30 p.m. at Dos Camales, 227 Water Street, in Corpus Christi. Dr. Wesley Bissett from Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine will be the speaker for the evening. The topic will be emergency and disaster management. When faced with an emergency or disaster, all staff members play an important role in implementing the plans for ensuring the safety of the animals in their care at the time, not to mention the care of the lost and sick animals in the aftermath of the storm. Any non-CBVMA member may attend this meeting for a fee of $30. 2.5 CE credits. Contact Dana Bobbitt at 361/595-5589 firstname.lastname@example.org.
RVT renewals are mailed in mid-April so RVTs please update your contact information if you have moved or changed your work address.
TVMA Annual Conference is March 1-3 in College Station
Click here to view RVT/CVA CE tracks and to register for the event.
The next RVT State Exam is scheduled for Friday, June 21. For more information, click HERE.
Esophageal Disorders of Dogs and Cats
Thursday, January 24, 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
1.5 hours of free CE at Sugar Land Veterinary Specialists presented by Dr. Johanna Heseltine, DVM, MS, DACVIM (Internal Medicine). More details HERE. RSVP to email@example.com or 281/491-7800.